Friday, July 26, 2013

July 24th

 We celebrated July 24th like real pioneers!  Luckily my mom had these cute pioneer clothes in the costume box at her house.  That cute little skirt and bonnet that Sammi is wearing were mine when I was about her age.  They thought it was pretty fun for a few minutes, but I made them stay in their clothes for my own selfish entertainment.


 We made butter!
 Ben and my dad were doubtful that it would work, but boy were they wrong!  They were messing with my mom who happened to throw me a pioneer birthday party when I was about 7, and she is an expert butter-shaker.

Then we humored the boys and went fishing in the Uintahs.

 Steph caught a fish!


 And Grandma kept the girl warm since it was actually pretty chilly up there.

We were really feeling the lack of bathrooms.  Sammi may have had to leave a little something under a tree...perhaps even the same tree her mom left something under when she was about 3 as well.  Overall though, a very successful Pioneer Day.

2 comments:

Kris said...

When I was in kindergarten, the room moms had us make butter for some kind of Thanksgiving activity. Unfortunately, someone bought half-and-half instead of cream. (I bet she was shunned by the PTA. You know those clique-y involved moms.) Anyway, we shook and shook and shook to no avail.

Sammi's face KILLS me in that second picture.

mom/grandmaG said...

I used to have my Kindergarten classes make butter for Thanksgiving but I ended up doing most of the shaking of the bottle! I think you had a FUN-filled 24th! Love the pic of Sheila and Sammi! And is that seriously Grandpa J in a pioneer bonnet?!