Wednesday, April 21, 2010

BIG Train Tracks

We discovered some train tracks close to our house and knew of a certain little boy who might just get the thrill of his life going to see them. He got to bring Thomas and Percy along for the ride, and what a ride it was for all three of them (and let's face it...Ben too).


I told my mom the other day that I often feel like I have more children than I do because I'm constantly keeping track of all of Emerson's trains. I know the name of each one and I get worried when I haven't seen a particular one for a few days/hours. Then I'll say something like "Ben, have you seen Gordon around? I mean, he must be here somewhere. And I noticed Toby isn't over with the crowd either. Where do you think they could be?" Dorky, I know. And this is usually after E has gone to bed, so we should be done talking about trains for the night, but we're not. So far they've all turned up in good time without having to issue an Amber Alert.


E and Percy. Percy is often chosen as one of the engines E gets to sleep with at night. He doesn't play with them, he just sets them all up to watch him sleep. If I go right in when E first wakes up in the morning then they will often still be lined up just how I left them unless he's accidentally rolled over onto them. If I need E to stay happy while I shower real quick, he carefully unloads them over the side of his crib.

He LOVED trying to walk on each of the railroad ties. They were just a little too far apart to do in one step though.

A very solemn occasion

Losing his cool for just a second and cracking a smile because he's so excited. He would occasionally burst out with "TRAIN...COMIN'!!!" just because he thought there should be a train on these cool tracks. Don't worry though, there weren't any trains at the end of the line where we were.

3 comments:

Grandma J said...

What a big adventure! You can tell Emerson thought the whole experience was very cool. And, I'm glad that you are so vigilant in keeping track of E's trains. He would be so upset if any of them were lost since they are just like real people to him! (I should know, since I've said hello to them on the phone many times at Emerson's request.)

mom/grandmaG said...

Oh Nin, this may be your best post yet, but then, all your posts are hilarious! He will remember this I am pretty sure! I love how you guys live in your child's world!! You are a good mom and dad. And mama j is a good grandma to speak to all the trains by phone!! I love how they line up at night! Brian lined up his play "moneys" the same way. Cammy hid her little people all over to be found at night. The only one ever lost in over 35 years was Mr. Hooper from Sesame Street, but then he did pass away in real life! I found a replacement on EBay recently! I still like them in their proper places! Scary, I know. OCD?? Sorry this is so long!!!
Aunt Karen

The Sorensons said...

Oh Melinda, I know exactly what you mean about the importance of finding all the special toys in order to avoid a catastrophe in the morning. I'm constantly looking for "the family of kitties" or "mommy and baby giraffe" (as if they're actually important to me!). I'm glad to see Emerson is loving his new train set. That's fun you found tracks so close!