Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Loaves and Fishes, Minus the Fishes




Every Monday our ward gets donated bread from a local bakery, and the members take turns picking it up. Then ward members come to that member's house and pick up as much as they want. I'm not gonna lie--I love not having to buy bread. And this is GOOD bread. I always knew there was a ton of bread, but I never quite realized how much until it was our turn to pick up the bread this Monday. HOLY CRAP. There were 7 huge bags full of loaves, baguettes, bagels, and a giant box of pastries. While Ben and Emerson and I were waiting in the bakery for them to close, we kept snickering to ourselves at the people who showed up right at 9:00 and paid for their food. So I didn't feel too bad when the manager gave them each a brownie from our box. We hauled the bags out to our car and it filled up the entire trunk, either side of Emerson's carseat, and my lap. We were just praying that ward members would actually come. There was a pretty good showing, and we actually got rid of most of it (with lots of help from Ben's medical school classmates--thanks Hannah & Daniel, Angie & Scott, and Joni & Rocky!) But we still have a huge bag full of bagels. So for those ward members that didn't show up, don't be surprised if you find some stale bagels sprinkled on your lawn or stuck to your car. Maybe we can pawn some off on the missionaries or our unsuspecting neighbors. :)

11 comments:

Grandma J said...

Whew! Thank goodness there were no fish involved. That would have quickly become very stinky, lol!

Natalie Johnson said...

You look so small, Nin. How big IS that bread?!

Unknown said...

Thanks for picking it up and letting it stink up your house! I enjoyed a nice warm cinnamon thingy last night.

Monica said...

okay so I definately have been missing out. I have to admit I have never participated in this panera bread pick up and receiving.I never knew what I was missing until now. I think I may just have to start joining in on this!

Lacey said...

I love bread, and free bread is the best of all! Perhaps Steve and I should consider relocating...

Britni said...

Love the Panera bread nights! It is an awesome thing to know I never have to pay for bread while we are out here!

Heather said...

Ah Panera. It is a blessing. And a curse if you don't get rid of enough.

HDVB said...

Melinda, we were thrilled that we were invited to help take it off your hands! We've been having more delightful lunches/breakfasts/dinners since that night! We love you guys! Seriously, Daniel is SO glad that he has a great group of friends to study/hangout with. Thanks for the bread! :) Also, thanks for your cute comments!

Becca said...

bah...it took me forever to accept your invite, but i did in fact accept it! it is so fun to see what has been going on in your life, i cannot BELIEVE you are a mamma, emerson is adorable, congratulations! and i am supre jealous that you are living in ohio for the soul reason that you have the gap clearance outlet nearby, if you need directions, let me know!

candice said...

Come back. We miss you.... and we will definatley play corn-hole. :) Hope you are having a good time.

Gil said...

so funny thing...someone brought in a bag of doughnuts that was as big as that bag...if i had a camera i would take a picture of it.