Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Utah

My parents were kind enough to fly me and the grandkids out to visit for 2 whole weeks!  We were sad to leave Benny behind, but that darn school keeps him busy so his schedule wouldn't allow it.  We missed him while we were gone.  The flights went as well as could be expected and I was really glad that I had purchased a little puppy backpack (read: leash) for E so that he wouldn't run away from me while on the layover.  It turned out to be a lifesaver while I was feeding Sammi.  Yes, I am one of THOSE parents.  Judge if you must, but I didn't have to go chasing after him while trying to maintain a shred of dignity (and modesty).


We started off the trip by being greeted at the airport by Grandma and Grandpa J.  E was thrilled to see them and couldn't wait to "pay trains".  And pay trains he did.  We all found it difficult to resist when he would say "Come on (insert name here), come pay trains!  Pease!  Oh pease!"

Some fun things we did:
I took a trip up to Logan to visit my sister Natalie, and our good friends the Humpherys.  E and Sadie are little friends via blog videos and now Sammi and Ellie are too!  It was so fun to see them and to see how much Logan has changed.  E had a good time in Aunt Nat's apartment eating Cheez-Its and was sad to leave her.  Luckily she was coming home for the weekend the next day.

Sammi met her cousin, Tanner.  Don't they look comfy?  I got to have lunch with Ben's sisters and Mom.



We accidentally caught Emerson being affectionate with Sammi. :)  Shh...don't tell anyone he actually likes her.
Sammi met her second cousin, Addi.
E got to play with his second boy cousins.  And yes, they are all fighting over the pink car. 
E got to "play games" with Uncle Brad.  He was very motivated by this and thought he was doing a really good job.  He was so good that he didn't even need batteries in his controller.
This was his happy face at breakfast each morning.
A huge highlight was going to The Dairy Keen (No, I did not misspell Dairy Queen) in Midway, Utah where my family owns a second home.  It is the home of the train burger and is a train lover's paradise.  They have trains running all over the place, and very good shakes.  E was lucky enough to eat dinner on a train!

E with Aunt Steph and Aunt Nat
E and Sammi posing with the train
I heart this picture...two peas in a pod.  (E got to play with Uncle B's old trains while we were there)
Little Bright Eyes
E's yummy dinner on the train.
We had a great time at the condo in Midway, and that was probably my favorite part of the trip because everyone was together, and no one had work or school or play practice over UEA.  We went to Cascade Springs and drove through Provo Canyon to glimpse the pretty leaves. 

We also went to the Hogle Zoo.  It was a very fun time until the last five minutes where E was sliding for the last time before we went home and he cut his head open on the exposed concrete slab under the slide.  It bled like crazy, but luckily turned out to be a little pinpoint of a cut on the back of his head.  It sure is convenient to have Grandpa J for a doctor!  But here are the happy pictures.  Grandma took us on the train twice!  Lucky ducks.



The animal E chose to ride on the carousel was the peacock.  Yes, the peacock.  He chose the buffalo first, then wanted the peacock.  Of all the random animals...
We had lots of fun hanging out, eating out, and watching our girly shows together.  The yummy places we went:

-Tio's (on the west side of Murray.  Amazing Mexican food.)
-Cafe Rio
-Sweet Tooth Fairy (for cupcakes and other sinful delights)
-La Madelaine Bakery
-Bella Citta (The most amazing tomato soup EVER.  I don't even really like tomato soup.)
-Red Mango (delicious frozen yogurt)
-Scaddy's (burgers)
-Wingers (self-explanatory)

I'm not sure why, but the first few days of vacation always go by really slow...just the way I like it.  Then suddenly a week has passed and the rest flies by no matter how long your trip is.  I'm not sure my parents got enough of the grandkids. :)  E loved when Grandpa would get him ready for bed every night and then laughed when Grandma would admire his shiny clean teeth.  We've had to call them since we've been back so Grandma could admire them over the phone.  We miss you!  Thanks again for all the fun.  We'll be excited to see you again for Christmas. 

And just in case you didn't get enough of Sammi-girl:

6 comments:

Natalie Johnson said...

It was so fun hanging out with you guys! It was so sad going back to school and only seeing you on weekends though. My little heart broke when I helped put E to bed and he said "Something fun tomorrow, Nannie?" "I won't be here tomorrow!" Ugh, it was awful.

P.S. The picture of E and Brad playing video games is effing adorable.

Grandma J said...

You're right--we didn't get enough of the grandkids! Luckily it won't be long until Christmas. We had tons of fun with you!

Ashlee said...

I used to "judge" parents with leashes and now I think they're a dang good idea. You've inspired me to just get one:)

Kris said...

That picture with Brad look so much like Scott that it freaked me out.

Parenthood is about damage control. Sure, a stuffed doggie-backpack-leash is dorky, but do you know what is MORE dorky? Running after a 2 year old in a crowded airport clutching a baby to your one-side exposed chest while your very trendy nursing cover flies like a cape behind you. I'm envisioning it now, and while I'm laughing, I'm also shuddering.

Brooke said...

How funny! I just posted about your visit too! I am glad we got to meet little Sammi! Such a cutie. And Emerson was sweet to share his trains. :)

Natalie said...

It was good to see you guys! Thanks for fitting us in to your busy schedule.

p.s. You forgot to add Carl's Jr. and their neato star chicken nuggets to your list of yummy places to eat! C'mon, Melinda! ;)